ASEASUK RESEARCH GRANTS
British Academy-ASEASUK-ECAF Visiting Fellowships 2014-15
ASEASUK and The British Academy are pleased to announce funding for fellowships to enable scholars to make research visits to field-centres operated by the European Consortium for Asian Field Study (ECAF). The purpose of the fellowships will be to advance the scholar’s personal research in Southeast Asia, build his/her wider networks and enable scholars to contribute to the academic life of the centres.
- Awards are for a research visit of normally 1 - 4 months to be spent attached to one or more of the ECAF Field Centres in Asia.
- Fellowships will enable researchers to pursue their own personal research in Southeast Asia, build wider networks, and contribute to the academic life of the centre. Scholars new to Southeast Asia are encouraged to apply.
- The scheme is open to any scholar holding a PhD and currently attached to a UK higher education institution, who has not previously had substantial contact with the field centres.
- Applicants are expected to a) consult the ECAF Field Centre web pages - "this website" - before applying to consult details of Centres’ main areas of research and resources, and b) to contact the ECAF Secretariat to ascertain that their proposed visit is compatible with the work of the Centre selected in terms of both broad research theme and timing. Note that the Yangon Centre IS participating in this scheme in 2014-15, but has severe space constraints. It will do its best to help visiting scholars. Kuala Lumpur has limited capacity for hosting visiting scholars.
- Each fellowship is to a maximum of £5,000 to cover personal travel, accommodation and research expenses, including child care directly attributable to the research project where the parent/carer is conducting research away from home; 10% of the value of the award will be paid to the ECAF centre (via the ECAF Secretariat in Paris) as a contribution to operating costs and to meet the costs of services provided. (The 10% will not cover the cost of any residential accommodation where this may be offered by the centre).
- Award holders must submit a brief report to the British Academy and ASEASUK on completion of their visit to enable the value of the award to be evaluated.
This year's participating ECAF centres are:
Bangkok, Chiang Mai, Hanoi, Ho Chi Minh City, Jakarta, Kuala Lumpur, Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, Vientiane and Yangon.
Applications must be received by 18 NOVEMBER 2014 and successful applicants will be notified by early January 2015. Research visits may take place up to and during the summer of 2015.
Please read the application form in full before contacting ASEASUK or ECAF.
Download the application forms and further particulars at the bottom of this page. Further enquiries and applications should be submitted to Dr Deirdre McKay, ASEASUK Research Secretary, by email as detailed on the form.
|ASEASUK-ECAF fellowship app-form-2014-15 revised.doc||169 KB|
|ASEASUK-ECAF fellowship end of visit report form 2014-15.doc||130.5 KB|
|ASEASUK-ECAF fellowship end of visit report form 2013-14.doc||131.5 KB|