Panel 11: Continuity and Change in Southeast Asian Performance
Continuity and Change in Southeast Asian Performance
Convenor: Dr. Margaret Coldiron, University of Essex
Southeast Asia’s rich panoply of cultures is home to a wide range of performance forms, many of which transcend the narrow Western categories of music, dance and drama. Ethnographic study, the forces of globalisation, international film, television and the increasing availability of new media have had effect, even upon very remote communities. Traditional performance forms have been revived to promote tourism and new traditions are being invented; transnational performers cross-fertilise taking and making influences, creating issues of ‘authenticity’ and neo-colonialism; issues of gender are questioned, challenged and re-defined. Papers are invited which address these and other issues relating to Southeast Asian performance past and present.
Those interested in participating in the panel should contact the convenor by 1 June with an abstract (ca. 250 words), a biography and list of AV requirements sent to: email@example.com
It is the responsibility of individual participants to register and book online for the conference by 15 June.
Information for panellists
1. Participants can register for the conference here.
2. Details on the conference, proposed panels and other activities can be viewed here.
3. The conference will run from the late afternoon of Friday 7th September through to the afternoon of Sunday 9th September
4. The conference will be held on the Science Site of Durham University, with accommodation at Collingwood College of Durham University
5. Travel and other information will be available when the registration site goes live
6. If panellists are coming from outside the EU and are applying for a visa they will likely need a letter from ASEASUK. Please contact Jonathan Rigg (firstname.lastname@example.org) in good time to have this arranged.